Sunday, August 16, 2009

Gently green

I'm trying to find new ways to become more green in our household. We've already gone to energy efficient light bulbs, but there are other things that we are seriously considering.

One of them is a dual flush toilet. Now that the older 2 kids are finally toilet trained, it seems like the toilet is flushing all day long. With a dual flush, it will drastically reduce the water use. But it's not always easy finding dealers on SI who carry these products at this time. Maybe I'll have more luck with someone from Brooklyn.

Also, I'm interested in composting, as I want to start a vegetable garden next year. But I am really sensitive to smells, and a stand alone compost bin is a pretty messy and stinky job to turn and maintain. So I've been pricing compost tumblers. They're expensive, but I've found a site that shows how to make a compost tumbler out of a garbage can. Then I can freecycle the old compost bin.

http://thepleasuresofhomemaking.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-to-make-compost-tumbler-for-cheap.html

We'll see how this all pans out. Little by little, we trying to make the switch to a greener lifestyle, which also appeals to my frugal side, since all this is supposed to save you a lot of money as well.

The cloth diaper idea, though, proved to be much too much for me :-).

Oh, and I've been really paying attention to my hunger this week, when it starts and more importantly, when it ends during eating. I'm realizing that I eat a lot more than it takes to make me satisfied. That's a really good thing.

Beth

No comments: